Dear Lexington, Kentucky,
I hate you.
I'm pretty sure I made that clear last Sunday when I spent an hour within your toxic city limits and cursed you within an inch of your existence.
Now, it's no secret that the state laying claim to you is not one of my favorites. In fact, I blame Kentucky for many of the things I find to be wrong with this world (fat-free cheese, stryrofoam, Tom Cruise, etc.).
It all started when I first learned you were known as the Bluegrass state. Having lived in a few different countries and never actually having seen blue grass, I was intrigued.
I remember when our family took a road trip that involved passing through your borders. At one point, we had to stop and fill up the ol' family truckster.
I got out of the car, saw a small patch of grass and ran to it. Oh, to see the magic and mystery of grass that is actually-
Now, wait a damn minute.
That's right. Your grass is green, you big phony!
It was all downhill from there.
But Lexington, you earned a special place on my Shit List, right next to Kathy Griffin and the Dutch.
Last Sunday, as I made my way from Indiana back to North Carolina, I noticed my gas gauge getting low. It wasn't extreme, but I thought it sensible to stop, fill up the tank and then fill up my own tank at the same time.
I turned on to Man O War Blvd (couldn't make that up if I tried) and started in the general direction of the BP station. Unfortunately, I came to an immediate halt as there was heavy construction on this main drag of yours that narrowed two lanes down to one.
It took me HALF AN HOUR to drive 3 miles.
Afterward, as I attempted to get to your Chipotle, I was instead forced to take a series of roads that led me nowhere near a delicious, overstuffed burrito. As a matter of fact, I ended up in a Harley shop's parking lot where a cranky gentleman on a cell phone honked at me. And not in the nice way.
In the end, I got so angry that I ended up at McDonald's, where I inhaled my nuggets whilst talking to my dad on the phone and using phrases like "Godforsaken city" and "hateful state."
I'm pretty sure the woman in the booth behind me did not want to be my Facebook friend.
If not for some of the super cool bloggers I've met who hail from Kentucky (and whom I pray have not stopped following me because of this tirade that YOU caused), I would completely write off your entire state.
In the end, Lexington, I just wanted to tell you that from now on, I will be stopping in Berea or Corbin to wet my whistle and pee like there's no tomorrow.
And you, my friend, may suck it.
Kindly blow it out your ass,
Sara Spelled Without an H
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




25 comments:
Oh, the sun shines bright, on my old Kentucky home!
Yes, that song is burned into my brain, thanks to my father's absurd loyalty to his (and my) home state. I feel no such loyalty. You try having to hear jokes about marrying your cousin your whole life. Unless you're from West Virginia, you simply don't understand.
I feel your pain. But trust me when I say, if you didn't like Lexington, you will HATE Corbin!
i was more than a little disappointed in the elusive blue-grass situation as well. i was also pretty peeved at the fact that my one and only trip to kentucky did not produce a single horse-farm siting. i took car o'my business in that wretched state and left to never return.
OMG just reading that made me hate KY!
Anyone that denies me Chipotole better be ready to taste the business end of my boot!
I've never been to Kentucky, but you just about described my feelings for Boston. I've been there twice and really tried to love it but, alas, it was not meant to be. When it consistently sent me in the wrong direction, mocked my love of Starbucks, tried to run me over with a streetcar and wouldn't allow me to buy liquor to take back to my hotel...nobody denies me liquor and gets away with it!
http://robyn-fojoy.blogspot.com/
I have never been to Kentucky, but based on your scathing review of it, I now intend to stay far, far away. The fact that it spawned Tom Cruise is enough for me really.
Although yes, I do love some KY Bloggers (that's KY for Kentucky).
I have never been there...and probably won't ever go.
It sucks that it was such a meany to you...but since I know that fat free cheese hails from there...well, THAT I can not tolerate.
Alrighty then! Maybe you should tell us how you REALLY feel?
I'm sure the Lexingtonians are well aware of their city's suckiness. And in spite of it all I bet it has some redeeming qualities. I haven't been so I can't say but I am the eternal optimist. Venture west and try your hand at Suckwad St. Louis, the land of the orange traffic cone and unnecessarily placed pot hole. Tons of fun, let me tell you.
i've never been to kentucky, so thanks for the warning. and i recently discovered chipotle and it's awesome. may lexington forever pay for depriving you of a delicious overstuffed burrito. how dare you lexington, how dare you.
Oh Kentucky. My grandparents live in Nicholasville and I am quite familiar with Man O War Blvd. I am sorry you had a bad experience. At least now you are back in Boone. :]
You showed Kentucky, alright! It's probably shuddering in fear.
Fat free cheese is almost as bad as fat free ranch. KY can blow it out it's ass.
And until they can claim being teh birth place of KY Jelly I have zero interest.
I'm still looking for a blog to be dedicated to me. Your lesbian blog lover.
wow. Just saying that it's so worth it to hear this review... I think I have never read a review of an entire city on a blog.. but you managed to pull it off nicely.
Missed reading you... I'm back now. You can be relieved.
Oh *sighs*...I don't know what makes me sadder...that you hate Lex or that I didn't know you were in Lex so that we could meet up for a burrito, seeing as I live approximately 2 miles from that Chipotle. Well, did. Y'know...until the Big Army Move of 2010 last week. But we still have our house there that we're trying to sell. Wait...does that mean you don't want to buy our lovely 3 bedroom ranch on the corner of Man O War(name of horse...ridonkulous as it is, it means something to the folk of Bluegrass Country) and Nicholasville Road? Guess not.
I'm so sad that my home sweet home did not treat you with the love and respect that you so richly deserve. I still consider it home so I will write a memo to Lexington and tell them how royally they've screwed up with my girl, Sara.
Oh and let me shine a little light on the situation: we are hosting the 2010 World Equestrian Games (which is basically the Olympics for horses) in September. It's a huge freaking deal and they are renovating the entire city simultaneously to get ready for it. If you return anytime after October, it won't be like that. Swearsies.
And we have the most fantastic Bourbon Trail. And Keeneland is THE place for beautiful dresses and big floppy hats. But I feel like this is a waste and Lexington has gone the way of Asian monkeys who throw their poo at you.
How bout you tell that state how you REALLY feel??
Man, to any haters out there, I'm pretty sure KY's girl Ally can bring them back. That was some write-up!
Note to self: NEVER go to kentucky.
done and done!
and for the record, that kind of crap would never happen in cali...just sayin...
Back when John was in TN I drove through Kentucky all the time, including I-64 through Lexington. More than once I fell for the sign that said there was a Chick Fil'a. Maybe it's in a mall, but I NEVER found it.
Luring someone off the interstate when they're trying to get back to Bloomington and finish their homework by saying that there's a Chick fil'a and then NOT HAVING A CHICK FIL'A - that's hateful.
How dare you, Kentucky. How dare you.
i've never had a good experience with that state...ever.
So apparently, Kentucky is da debbil.
I have never been to Kentucky, but a good bloggy friend who I've met IRL now (Tracie at Stir-Fry Awesomeness) lives there, so it can't be ALL bad....though this story did make me hate the state on your behalf....
;-)
Thanks for bringing on the KY hate. The good news is that I don't have to clean my KY home in preparation for a huge influx of visiting bloggers.
(I'm a WV native and totally used to being hated on so no hard feelings.)
Kentucky is responsible for the creation of Maverick? Who knew?
Yeah, I was there last week. Kentucky can kiss my ass.
Post a Comment